Thursday, July 25, 2013

PB2 Protein Bites



It seems that the newest snack craze on Pinterest are those peanut butter energy bites. I have been experimenting a lot of different recipes. I have tried making them with different types of nut butters, nuts, sweeteners, protein powders, and other add ins.

The three ingredients that I always use are:
-some type of nut butter (peanut, PB2, almond, cashew, etc)
-oats
-agave or honey

From there I will add one or more of the following:
-protein powder
-chocolate chips
-dried fruit
-coconut
-nuts
-flaxseed
-chia seeds
-wheat germ
-stevia
-maple syrup

Usually I make these with real peanut butter, but tonight I wanted to make a lighter peanut butter protein bite because my dad can't resist peanut butter, and he's trying to cutback on the PB. Therefore I used PB2 powdered peanut butter. I find PB2 at my local QFC grocery store, but I have also seen it at Whole Foods, Fred Meyer, and at Emerald City Smoothie. PB2 is a peanut butter powder that is MUCH lighter in calories and fat than normal peanut butter. All you have to do is mix it with water, and you get a smooth, creamy peanut butter with about 80% less fat and calories!

Lighter Peanut Butter Protein Bites
-1/3 cup PB2 (mixed with some water to make the consistency of peanut butter)
-2 TBSP agave nectar
-1/2 cup oats
-2 TBSP ground flaxseed
-one scoop vanilla protein powder

Mix all the ingredients together and shape into small bite sized balls. Let me know what you think of them! Have you made your own before? What do you add to yours?




2 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you.... can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good!! I add chocolate chips and use chocolate protein powder. These have replaced some expensive protein bars that I ordered every month.

    ReplyDelete