Thursday, March 1, 2012

Yummy snacks!

I am always asked by my friends and family what are some of my favorite healthy snacks, so I thought I would share with you some of my favorites that are constantly in my kitchen. I try to eat healthy for the most part, so here are some of my favorite healthy snacks! Most of these foods are from Trader Joes...in my opinion the best and cheapest grocery store. The other items I got at Fred Meyer, but I am sure you can find most of them at any grocery store.  All of these snacks are at or under 100 calories per serving, which is great to keep you in check when you need a snack.

1. Ak-mak crackers: These crackers taste great and 5 big crackers are at about 100 calories with only 2 grams of fat, 4 grams of fiber, no sugar, and 5 grams of protein. Protein in a cracker?! Heck yes! I love to snack on these with a laughing cow cheese wedge or by themselves. They are at both Fred Meyer and Trader Joes, but a lot cheaper at TJs.


2. Ok, here is one of my favorite and newest snacks I have just dissovered....Eggplant Hummus! It's delicious, lowfat and at only 35 calories for two tablespoons. It has a unique flavor, but I love it!


I love to pair cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and snow peas with this hummus. I try to eat a lot of veggies during the whole day because they really are soooo good for you. I challenge you right now to start adding at least one more serving of veggies to your diet today! Do your body some good and help fight off cancer!



Plus veggies are so low in calories, and take almost more calories to digest! This whole bag of cauliflower has about 80 calories for it all! That's less than a skinny latte....with about 8 grams of filling fiber and protein!

3. Greek yogurt. If you haven't tried this stuff, you must. Try to stick to the non-fat or low fat options because regular greek yogurt is loaded with fat and calories. I like to stick with plain yogurt because it has no added sugar and no artificial flavors. There are many different brands, but this one I like, and it was on sale at Fred Meyer! If this yogurt isn't sweet enough, try adding some honey (or Stevia), cinnamon (a natural metabolism booster), and vanilla extract to it. I also like to pair this yogurt with fresh fruit and sometimes oats.


4. At first, I didn't really like Almond Milk, but this Brand, Blue Diamond Almond Breeze, tastes great! I go for the unsweetened flavors since I can't have sugar, but I have tried the chocolate one before and it's delicious. It tastes great with cereal, in teas and coffees, and in cookie or cake batters and frostings. Plus, it's lactose free which is great for those vegans out there.



5. Low carb tortillas. Being a Mexican food lover, and lover of quesadillas, these are perfect to keep myself in check and still satisfy my mexican cravings. I like to eat these with low fat or fat free cheese. They also make a great breakfast burrito when stuffed with egg beaters and veggies. This particular brand has two sizes. The small size has 50 calories per tortilla, 7 grams of fiber, no sugar, 5 grams of protein, 2 grams of healthy fats, and only 10 grams of carbs. The larger size has 80 calories, 3 grams of fat, 12 grams of fiber, 1 gram of sugar, 8 grams of protein, and 18 grams of carbs. Plus they are made with whole wheat!


6. Last but not least, Trader Joe's Spicy and Tangy Almonds!!! Not only do these taste good, but almonds are loaded with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats which are proven good for you heart and skin, and if ate in small portions, can help you loose belly fat. Just remember that almonds are high in calories so try to stick to 8-15 almonds at a time.




So here is my first list of my favorite healthy snacks. I will try to post my favorite snacks monthly to share some more healthy snack ideas! I hope you can try them out and let me know which ones you like the best!

Ok, now time for some wine.... :)



1.

2 comments:

  1. Great job Lauren! Some great advice I can use. Thanks.
    ~Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melinda! Let me know what you use!

    ReplyDelete